Sunday, June 19, 2011

Words or Heart?

This morning in church service I found myself, along with everyone else, singing the words "I live to worship You". I caught myself looking around at the hundreds singing these words and thinking "is this true of ALL of these people singing these words?" I thought "surely there must some in here that worship with their lips, but their hearts are far away from God". Then I began to think of my own heart and the words rolling off of my own tongue, "do I mean what I am saying?" I stopped and began to make sure I meant what I was saying. The Christian life is never merely about words rolling off of our tongues, but about hearts longing to know God deeper and more intimately. I must admit, some days I sense my heart farther from God than other days, maybe you can understand. Ultimately though, God is in the business of being worshiped, not out of duty, but because of greatness! He is great, and moods and circumstances must never stand in our way of honoring Him who deserves all praise. So if you, like me, have those days, remember the greatness of God and the words "I live to worship You" will be easy to mean wholeheartedly!
Jonathan Edwards resolved it best, "Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God' s glory..." Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment